Last night I finished the gnome. It came out pretty good if I say so myself. So first I finished up the hands and arms. The mitten part was by far the hardest part to seam up.
After finishing up with the limbs, I then positioned the legs and sewed them to the body.
Once I got the legs attached and the gnome properly balanced I sewed the arms onto him.
Once the arms were on I realized that they are a bit short and stubby, but I imagine that must be what gives the gnome his charm. The next step was to pin the beard on his face and then sew it on with some black sewing thread.
Hmm, still not sure on the beard- but I proceeded forward and sewed on the fiddly little nose.
I then seamed up the hat (it took FOREVER), stuffed it and then sewed it to the gnome's head. Behold! Proto-Gnome!
I LOVE him. THis gnome is staying with me- I will make a few more for others, but this first gnome is going to live on my desk. I am thinking about making another for my carrel for the holiday season.
So that's my gnome. The pattern was super easy to knit and the finishing (while it took a while) was not difficult at all. The Gnome pattern is from the UK knitting mag Simply Knitting #8, the gnome was knit in Sirdar Countrystyle DK, Encore DK, and Lion Brand Fun Fur, on size 2 needles (the beard was knit on size 7 needles).
So now, it time to work on some UFOs and to start on a new crochet project until I get the order for more gnome yarn in.